Building Materials and Their Uses
Building Materials and Their Uses
The construction industry has integrated. therefore, the building materials and their uses has also integrated by moving from the ancient locally sourced materials and building to a modern way of sourcing the materials for a modern, high rise and gigantic building. This highly depends in turn on the kind of construction, which range from mud houses to modern urban infrastructures that use high-end materials. Below are some of the commonly used materials.
1. Timber – Building Materials and Their Uses
This is one of the most important materials in building and construction work. No building or construction work can be carried out without the use of timber (wood). Their uses come in a different format different stage of the work. Below are the stages and uses of timber in building and construction work.
- Setting out: they are use as profile boards for setting out the building or structure outlines
- Substructure (foundation): they are use as form work and support to foundation trench
- Supper structure: they are used for form work and support for columns (pillars) and beams
- Roof: they are used to construct the roof frame work on which the roofing sheet (aluminum) rest on.
Advantage of Timber (wood)
Comparing timber to alternatives materials and other engineered products,
- High tensile strength: lightweight and higher self-support length
- Heat and electrical resistance: natural resistance to construction and heat, offering more stability and safety
- Sound absorption: Naturally acoustic properties make it a great advantage in city living and workspaces
- Aesthetic: Again, the natural touch of wood is fresh. Also, an incredible range of wood is available, based on the need.
Wood construction, however, has its set of disadvantages including:
- Deforestation: sourcing requires cutting down of trees leading to deforestation
- Prone to damage: Easily damaged by natural elements
- High maintenance: it require expensive maintenance if used as wall
2. Glass – Building Materials and Their Uses
Glass has become an exceedingly important material in the urban area and setting. Not just corporate offices alone, but even modern homes are using glass in parts of their building construction for more esthetical view.
The main advantage of glass include the following
- Beautification: making the building look good from outside
- More sunshine: to allow for maximum use of daylight thereby saving energy cost
- Privacy: it offers a huge privacy due to varieties of reflective surface
- Ultra-Valente Resistance: it keep off the armful ray from the indoors
However, glass has its disadvantage which includes the following
- Costly: glass are very expensive to purchase compared to other materials
- Difficulty in handling: due to the fragile nature of glass, it is very difficult to handled and carry
- High maintenance: it require regular cleaning and this can be challenging with high glass wall
- Security concern: privacy and security can be compromised
3. Metal – Building Materials and Their Uses
Aluminum and steel alloys have formed a bigger part of the construction industry today across the globe. They form the framework for all big structure. The important of steel such as reinforcement in structures and buildings cannot be over emphasis. The strength of many structures lies in the structural design which has to do with the placement of bars and reinforcement in concrete.
Its advantage includes:
- Flexibility and resilience: it is highly durable and strong
- Weatherproof: it can withstand adverse climatic condition to a great extent
- Fire resistant: it is less prone to burning compare to wood and glass.
The disadvantage of metal is seen as follow
- Prone to rust: metals are prone to rust which consequently affect the structural integrity of the structures
- High technics: it require high technic to place it and work with it in term of design
- Expensive: metal construction are highly expensive and also required high maintenance